Since it's too easy to get into a food rut... which is super boring and causes me to dive into my favorite food groups (cheese and chocolate)... I like to refresh my menu line-up with ideas from family, friends, websites or magazines.
In an effort to share some suggestions (hey, aren't we all attempting to be a little healthier in the new year?), I thought I'd give you all a peek inside my pantry... and fridge and freezer. Here are twenty of my top "moderately healthy" foods (in no particular order):
1) Del Monte Fruit Naturals - Pineapple or Red Grapefruit
2) Activia Light Yogurt - Vanilla
3) Sabra Hummus - Roasted Pine Nut
4) Lipton Diet Green Tea - Citrus
*A huge favorite of my sisters and mom!
5) Frontera salsa - Corn & Poblano
6) Frank's RedHot sauce
*Great on chicken!
7) Edy's Slow Churned Rich & Creamy ice cream
*Single-serving cartons are 150 calories each! (Other good treats to satiate a sweet tooth: fat-free Fig Newtons and sugar-free chocolate pudding cups...)
8) MorningStar Farms veggie burgers
*My favorites are the Chik Patties, Spicy Black Bean Burger, and Grillers Prime (despite the photographic evidence, I do not enjoy Grillers Chik'n - accidentally grabbed the wrong box!)
9) Birds Eye Steamfresh packs - broccoli, green beans, peas... even roasted potatoes
*Only takes a few minutes in the microwave
10) Eggo Nutri-Grain waffles
11) Any brand of mini whole-wheat bagels
*I freeze them so they don't go bad before I get a chance to eat them all.
12) Jennie-O Turkey Meatballs
13) Swiss Miss hot chocolate
*For chocolate cravings!
14) Crystal Light Lemonade
15) Reduced Fat Wheat Thins
16) Any brand fiber chewy bars (especially peanut butter flavored ones)
17) Tuna in water
*I like to toss tuna into pasta or mac & cheese with some veggies, or I mix it up with some low-fat mayo on toast with melted cheese for a tuna melt.
18) Uncle Ben's Ready Whole Grain Medley - Santa Fe or Vegetable Harvest
*90 seconds in the microwave (can you tell I like my microwave?)
19) Frosted Mini-Wheats
*Gotta have a little frosting with my shredded wheat!
20) Baked Cheetos
*I can't give up my junk food and I'm not a huge fan of "baked" chips... but these actually taste like the real thing - maybe even better!
What are your favorite "healthy" snacks? As I continue to strive for balance and moderation, I'd love to incorporate a few new foods into my pantry, fridge or freezer. Any recommendations?